This is great fun to bake and learn about mixing colors at the same time. The kiddos & I had lots of fun trying out different proportions of food colouring in different bowls of cake batter. There is no right or wrong color to mix and not set layering of colors in this recipe, that’s half the fun – discovering how your cake turns out – and as a bonus, every slice is different!
I hope you have as much fun with this as we did.
One large bowl of cake batter – you can use a mix or use a basic sponge batter
Assorted food colorings – we had 4 (Red, Yellow, Blue & Green) and mixed colors ourselves
1. Divide your cake batter into some smaller bowls. We used 6.
2. Add food colorings one or two drops at a time until you get colors you like. We mixed some ourselves as you can see!
3. Roughly layer your colors in the cake pan. It doesn’t have to be tidy or precise and don’t worry if they mix a little. This is what ours looked like before it went in the oven.
4. Bake according to the recipe and allow to cool. At this point it will look terrible – just look at ours – don’t panic!
5. Once the cake is cool, slice it up to discover how your color explosion turned out!
We also made some individual cakes – using the same technique and here’s how they turned out.