As we are deep into the coughs and colds season and moms aren’t not allowed sick days, I thought I would share with you, a recipe for a warming, comforting beverage. This drink will do nothing to cure your cold of course, but what it will do is help take the edge off of your symptoms and make the day that little bit easier to get through.
1 Mint green tea bag
Fresh mint leaves
A knob of fresh ginger
1 fresh or dried Serrano pepper
1 tbsp. Honey
Steep a mint, green tea bag in a cup of boiling water for several minutes. You can use a regular green tea bag if you prefer, and you can compensate with a drop of peppermint or additional crushed mint leaves.
While the tea is steeping, cut a small knob of ginger into thin slices.
Remove the tea bag from the cup, and add a slice or two of fresh ginger.
Cut a dried or fresh Serrano pepper in halves or quarters, and add a piece to the tea.
Add a slice of lemon to your tea.
Pour a tablespoon of honey into your cup.
Crush up a fresh mint leaf or two, and add them to your cup of tea.
Stir well and sip to enjoy this warming, cold-fighting beverage.
Why It Works
- Mint can act as an expectorant and helps ward off disease.
- Lemons can reduce phlegm, weaken viruses in the body, and are packed with Vitamin C to ward off illness.
- Honey boosts the immune system and has antibacterial properties. It can also soothe a sore throat.
- Ginger soothes a cough, and boosts the immune system.
- Green tea has properties that help you stay in optimum health and ward off illnesses.
- Hot peppers contain Capsaicin, which can act as an expectorant, decongestant and pain reliever, while their high levels of Vitamin C can help shorten the length of a cold.