Dry cracked lips can be a problem not only during the winter but during the summertime too. That’s why I always have a tub of my homemade orange, honey, vanilla lip scrub on hand. Having said that I do have to keep it out of reach of the kids – they like the taste a little too much and are known to sneak fingers full of the stuff if I’m not vigilant.
Mind you, the delicious vanilla orange smell is a bit of a giveaway so they are less likely to do this these days.
How Do Homemade Lip Scrubs Work?
Lip scrubs can help by gently removing the dead skin cells, allowing the other ingredients to soothe, moisturise and protect.
By making your own lip scrub you can control the ingredients and be confident there are no unnecessary chemicals, preservatives, perfumes, or GMO ingredients.
Not only that but you can tweak the recipes to your individual taste.
Once you have made this delicious Orange, Honey, Vanilla Lip Scrub, you will want to use it in so that you optimize the health of your lips. So here are my top tips for soft lips.
You might also like my honey, butter, rum lip rub recipe
Tips For Exfoliating Your Lips
- Be Gentle: There is no need to rub vigorously and, in fact, you should avoid doing so. Apply a little scrub to your finger and rub it against your lips gently.
- Don’t Over Do It: No matter how cracked or chapped your lips are, do not exfoliate more than once a week.
- Always Sooth: Don’t just exfoliate, be sure to use a moisturising scrub like this one or another lip balm after you have exfoliated.
The same goes for adults and children, and while we’re on the subject – that is another big plus for this scrub. It’s safe to use on your little ones and tases good enough to prevent them from complaining. Well, maybe not prevent entirely, we all know our kids will complain about anything. Let’s just say it minimises complaints
Honey, Orange, and Vanilla Lip Scrub
- 1/2 a cup of white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of organic honey
- 1/4 a cup of melted coconut oil
- 5 drops of sweet orange essential oil
- The peel from 1 small or 1/2 large orange
- Small containers if you intend to give these away as gifts
Steps 1 & 2: Place the granulated sugar into your bowl and add your vanilla extract.
Steps 3-5: Add the coconut oil, the honey, and the sweet orange essential oil.
Step 6 & Step 7: Combine the ingredients well until the mixture looks an even color and consistency. Now, add the orange.
Step 8: Store in an airtight container for home use and dispense into small jars for gifts.