Co-created by BC’s Dairy Association’s Director of Nutrition Education, Sydney Massey, the “Hands-On Cook-Off Contest” is Better Together’s passionate reminder to families all over BC to make room for the time-honored tradition of sharing family meals.
Now in its ninth year, the Hands-on Cook-off contest has become an annual celebration of the family dinner movement in BC. Every year, this contest rallies support from schools, parents, celebrity chefs and family-focused groups across BC. This year’s panel of judges includes Paul Natrall, who launched Vancouver’s first Indigenous Food Truck—Mr. Bannock, Ceri Marsh, cookbook author and the woman behind the Sweet Potato Chronicles, Michele Phillips of What Dreams May Become, Robin Kort, Founder of BC’s Swallow Tail Culinary Tours, and Joel Barohn, chef and registered dietitian.
According to new research, eating family meals, particularly during the teen years, can help develop highly beneficial habits that last a lifetime. These habits include having more frequent family meals, choosing healthier foods at home, eating fewer meals in front of the TV and valuing their own participation in family meals.
How To Enter The Contest
The contest is open to BC residents and ends May 16th at 12 pm PST. Videos must include two or more people preparing recipes together and having fun while they are doing it. Videos should be no longer than three minutes long and can be uploaded here.
Submit your video in one of two entry categories.
- The Multigenerational category, in which you must have at least two generations involved in the making of the recipe.
- The Youth category, in which at least two youth aged 18 and under must participate in the making of the recipe.
This year there is also a photo entry option. You can enter your recipe and photo here for a chance to win $400
- Grand Prize: $1000 cash
- Runner-Up Prize: $500 cash
- People’s Choice Prize: $300 cash
- Grand Prize: $500 cash for the winning team and $500 cash for school or youth program of choice
- Runner-Up Prize: $250 cash for the winning and $250 cash for school or youth program of choice
- People’s Choice Prize: $150 cash for the winning team and $150 cash for school or youth program of choice
Entries that don’t win any of the above prizes but who have submitted their Contest recipe with a photo to the Submit a Recipe section of Better Together will be entered in a random draw for a chance to win $500 cash.