If you have ever tried to watch a TV show or a movie at home with a child, you will know there is no such thing as sitting back quietly and enjoying in silence. If you are lucky her will be the occasional “Why’s he doing that?” or “What was she called again?”. If you are in our house you will have a constant running commentary about what is happening, why people are doing the things, and why, and who and when. From the opening sequence, “Why do they have all those little bits and symbols and pieces of music at the beginning of a movie before it starts?” to the end credits “Will this have some funny bits at the end about what went wrong when they were making the film?”
Case in point. Yesterday the kiddos were watching Madagascar while I was cooking dinner. They are giving a running commentary, despite the fact they have seen it a number of times before, and, as usual, asking lots of questions. My tablet sits on the table for just these eventualities, and it fired up when I was faced with a question I couldn’t answer – “Are zebras white with black stripes or black with white stripes?” As you would expect with sure a critical issue, an all-out war threatened to break out over this burning question.
So, because making chicken pies, plus a beef pie for Evey who doesn’t like chicken ones, was not at all important I dropped what I was doing and consulted Google. You will be glad to know that zebras are, in fact, black with white stripes, despite their white undersides giving the impression that the opposite is true. There have been studies on embryonic zebras and everything, so there you go.
Other recent burning questions, provided with the answers, have been:
- From Hotel Transylvania “Where is Transylvania today?” – Central Romania
- From Antz “How much can ants carry?” – 10 – 50 times their body weight.
- From Dragons Race To The Edge – “What did Vikings use for money?” – Silver, including chopped up pieces of jewelry called ‘hack-silver.’
- Dawn Of The Croods – “How long ago did the Croods live” – The stone age was 3.4 million years ago
- Tarzan and Jane – “Why is it soccer in North America and Football everywhere else?” Long, long story but a shortened version is that it started out as “association football” in England which was shorted to soccer then the soccer was dropped, and just football used. North America kept using the old version soccer.
The internet was less helpful with questions such as “Why does Dangermouse hand around with Penfold when he is a hamster? Mice and hamsters don’t get on”, “Why doesn’t anyone recognize uncle Olaf until he does something bad?” or “If I design a Trollhunters monster do you think they’ll use it?”.
Just So You Know Having a house full of ravenous children that never stop eating or growing, and a pair of cats that I do not own but feed can be very costly. This post has been made possible by generous sponsorship, the provision of free products, the inclusion of affiliate links so I earn a small amount if you click and buy, or a combination of these things. Although I received goodies of some kind in return for writing this post, it did not cloud my judgement or influence what I have written.