When you’re a child there’s something extra special about small things. Perhaps it’s the novelty factor or perhaps it’s because they fit so comfortably in your little hands. Either way, small is special in our home and the kiddos were very excited when Dorling Kindersley sent us four of their ‘Pocket Genius’ guides to check out.
Evey went for the copy of “Rocks & Minerals” straight away. She is fascinated by crystals and gemstones so I wasn’t surprised to hear she wanted this for her “Crystal Kit” – the backpack in which she carries around a little rock hammer, some soft paintbrushes, gloves, goggles and ziploc bags. The pocket genius is perfect for this kit – small, light weight and succinctly informative.
The book begins with short sections about ‘Our rocky planet’, ‘What are rocks?’ and ‘What are minerals?’ then splits into two chapters – Rocks and Minerals, finishing off with the periodic table, a facts section, and a glossary.
Looking at the book together we learned about metamorphic rocks, meteorites, oxides, carbonates, and silicates and Evey can now tell you all about “The Wave” a beautiful sandstone formation in Arizona.
Gabriel, of course, pounced on the dinosaurs book and shared it straight away with his favorite dinosaurs.
Of course every ankylosaurus officinardo is going to check what is written about their favourite dinosaur first and Gabriel was no exception. The entry for each dinosaur has informarion about the dates they lived, where their fossils are found, their size, their habitat and their diet. There is also a colour illistration and a sillohettte of the dinosaur next to a human outline in order to demonstrate size as well as a prononciation guide – what else would a budding palientologist need?
Of course both of the kiddies liked the animals pocket genius and here you can see why:
Finally, we recieved the pocket genius cars which is also cramed full of interesting facts and useful information about familiar and unfamiliar cars from around the world and as you can see it is just as beautifully illistrated as the rest of the series.
Enter for the chance to win a selection of Pocket Genius books from Dorling Kindersley.
- Open to residents of Canada only (including Quebec)
- Contest ends Monday 28th March 2016 at 6 pm
- All entrants must have reached the age of majority in their place of residence.
- All times are in PST.
- Prize value posted in Can dollars and correct at time of publication.
- Contest winner will be drawn randomly from all qualified entries.
- Entries that have been found to be incorrect or incomplete will be removed from the final drawing.
- Entrants found to be using multiple identities for multiple entries will be disqualified.
- Giveaway Tools is used to randomly draw the winner.
- The winner will be notified within 24 hours of the end of the giveaway.
- The winner has 48 hours from the time the notification email is sent, to respond with their details.
- If no response is received within 48 hrs a second winner will be drawn.
- The Winners name will be displayed on the Giveaway Tools once confirmation is received.
- Closed Giveaways, with winners name will remain posted, under the closed giveaways tab for a period of one year.
- The contest Sponsor is responsible for prize fulfillment.
- Void where prohibited.
- All inquiries should be directed to : Patti@ContestPatti.com