Everyone who reads my blogs with any regularity knows how much I really like Dorling Kindersley books. The reference books are always so well researched and beautifully photographed. The instructional books (such as Crafts & Baking) are clearly set out and simply, yet intelligently written. Now DK has taken that style & quality and created a safe and useful online learning environment – DK Findout.
- Lions are the only cats to live in groups
- The males pace around their territory to protect it from other males
- They also spray urine to warn off other lions
- Lionesses do all the hunting
- They also tend to give birth at around the same time, so they can produce milk and feed each other’s cubs
- The lion’s mane protects his throat from the teeth and claws of other lions
There is a fast facts section about habitat, food, size, etc. and there’s also a sound file so you can listen to the lions while you read about them. As well as the subject themed sections, there are quizzes, picture galleries, videos and fun facts. There is also a “My Stuff” section on the way where you will be able to store all the the exciting things you discover.
If you sign-up as a teacher (still free!) you can go through the subjects and create your own lesson plans using the DK resources. As a home school mum I found this especially useful and when Evey asked me about earthquakes I was able to go to the site and quickly put together a lesson with high-quality visuals – it was great!