This is the only thing that makes my children actually BEG to have broccoli & cauliflower! It can be super quick to throw together – making it a great midweek side dish. Below you’ll find two versions – the regular & the quick – both are excellent. If you try it let me know what you thought!
1 Head of cauliflower
Three large crowns of broccoli
One pot of homemade white sauce
One block of cheese
1. Wash and chop the broccoli & cauliflower into roughly equal size pieces (about the size of an eighth of an apple)
2. Boil the pieces in lightly salted water, until tender (they give slightly when prodded with a sharp knife)
3. While the veg is cooking heat the white sauce & grate your cheese
4. when the sauce is hot, drain the veg and toss in the white sauce
5. Pour the sauce coated veg into an oven proof dish.
6. Cover with a mix of cheese & breadcrumbs
7. Bake at 425 degrees for approx 20 mins – or until the cheese is melted and you end up with something like this…
Even Quicker Version
1 bag of frozen broccoli
1 bag of frozen cauliflower
2 jars of Alfredo sauce
1 bag of grated cheese
1. Boil the frozen veg together, until firm but tender
2. Drain and transfer to an ovenproof dish
3. Pour over the sauce and stir until all veg is coated
4. Cover in cheese & breadcrumbs
5. Bake at 450 degrees for 25 mins or until the cheese is melted & browned.
1. Try different vegetables – but make sure you use veg that cooks at the same speed!
2. Cheese sauce can work well – but be careful not to put too much cheese on top as well – it can be overpowering
3. Carbonara sauce works very well