These are the most popular cakes in our house! These examples were made for Valentines Day but you do not need the heart candies. You can color and flavor the cake or butter icing to personalise the cakes or make them match any theme you have.
- 1/2 Cup of butter or margarine, softened
- 1/2 Cup of caster sugar
- 1/2 Cup of flour
- 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 2 medium free range eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 1/2 Cups of butter, softened
- 1/2 Cup sieved icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190 C or 375 F
- Cream the cake butter or margarine with sugar until light, fluffy and pale in colour. By hand is best but a hand whisk is fine too!
- Sift the flour & baking powder together.
- Beat the eggs and add them bit by bit with spoons of sifted flour. Bit by bit ensures the mixture does not curdle.
- Gently fold in an any flour left over when the egg is used up.
- Add the vanilla or any other flavourings desired and half fill the paper cases with the mixture and bake for about 15 minutes until risen and firm but not too dark.
- Leave the cakes to cool then cut a slice from the top of each cake and cut this in half.
- Sift the icing sugar into a bowl and beat with the butter.
- Place some of the butter icing on top of the cake then arrange the ‘wings’ how you want them.