Many pieces are written, and many hours are spent bemoaning
the difficulties of living with autism; for both the person diagnosed with
Autism & for their family. I myself have been known to bitch about how
unfair it is that our boys should have to deal with the additional hurdles in
a life that autism places in their paths.
However today is not one of those days for me – today I am
going to list my top ten reasons why autism is awesome – so, without further
10. You can get an exit pass at Playland & many other similar amusement parks– Just take proof of your diagnosis with you, and you get a pass that allows you to enter the ride at the exit – bypassing all those pesky line-ups.
9. Your house & garden become virtually burglar proof – A useful by-product of securing
your residence so that an overactive and over inquisitive five years old with no fear can’t escape!
8. The circle of people you know is huge- You meet all sorts of interesting people in waiting rooms. When you have appointments for speech therapy, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, behavioral intervention, etc. you spend a lot of time waiting, & consequently a lot of time talking with other parents whom you would otherwise never meet
7. You learn not to be self-conscious – When our NT kids had tantrums in the store, I would
worry about what other people thought and be convinced they were judging me as
a parent. When my sons with autism melt down, I just meet the disapproving eyes,
smile sweetly and say “It’s Ok, he’s not naughty, he has autism.” It works a
treat, people instantly don’t know what to say and wander away, leaving you to
wait for the meltdown to abate in peace.
6. Service is always super fast when you eat out – On the rare occasions we’re brave enough to
eat out with the boys, the waitress usually can’t wait to clear us from her
table. No waiting for 30mins between the appetizer & main for us!
5.You always find out what’s going on at school- Getting into the habit of signing J’s school
agenda every night, means I know what he’s supposed to be doing, even when he
disappears into the rec room to play X-Box and claims he has no homework
4. Military style planning becomes standard in your home – Even a trip to the store must be
carefully planned, with a list set out in the order I walk around the store.
That way I can get in and out as quickly as possible – leaving me plenty of
time to relax at home (yeah right!)
3. Everyone always knows what to buy for birthdays etc. – When you have a son who lives and
breaths the Canucks and can recite their stats backward, it’s easy to think of
something as a present. Simply slap a Canucks logo on anything, and he will love
2. G’s interventionist goes on trips to the park – and I get an occasional,
unexpected 30mins to sit down and have a relaxing cup of tea
1. Our Boys – without their autism, they would not be the boys we know & love – what more
can I say!
So – please comment below or teet me at @Redheadedpatti with
the tag #AwesomeAutism and tell me all of the reasons that you think Autism is